[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct, Google checkout and credit checks

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 12:08:40 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 9:20 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 January 2009 18:03:02 lanas wrote:
>
>> Some consumer organizations even tell people not to give their phone
>> numbers when they return merchandise to a store.  Indeed, why would
>> they need a phone number.  Ho harm done, but why give it when it's not
>> needed ?  So on so forth.
>
> The local Lowes always asks me for a phone number. I asked them why they want
> that, and they told me it was in case I wanted a refund and didn't have my
> receipt.
>
> I suggested that if me or anyone else asks for a refund and doesn't have a
> recipt they simply say "no".
>
> I once gave them 800-555-1212, and the clerk dutifully entered it. Neither the
> clerk or her computer seemed to have a problem with that number, so I give it
> to them every time they ask.
>
> --
> beww
> beww at beww.org

We are getting further off topic, so allow me to continue  . . .

I agree there is no legitimate reason for a company to ask for your
phone number when you make a purchase.  And I happily express this
opinion then ever they ask for it.

But the phone number when you make a return is actually quite
important to the company.  Stores have problems with employees
processing fake returns and pocketing the money (returned software is
removed from inventory as "defective" if it is not returned in perfect
condition).  Employees at the local software etc. were caught doing
this.  The company figured it out because the returns had random phone
numbers (the people on the other end did not shop at software etc.)
After that everytime I made a return at that store they would call a
couple of weeks later and ask if I had really returned the item or
not.