[mythtv-users] Adding new 1 Terabyte Drive and Moving existing Recordings

Brent Norris brent at brentnorris.net
Wed Jan 7 20:33:37 UTC 2009

Jan Ceuleers wrote:

> It's because in the first example a wildcard is involved. Wildcards are
> expanded by the shell before invocation of the mv command. So mv gets a
> whole load of arguments, the last of which is /path/to/new/ and the
> preceding-ones are individual files ending in .avi to be moved.
>
> In the second example mv is given only two arguments, both of which are
> directories.
>
> So mv apparently deals with each argument in turn (except for the
> last-one which acts as the destination), copying first and then deleting
> the original.
>
> Cheers, Jan

Yeah I understand the difference between handing it a folder and a list
of arguments.  It is an odd behavior that you don't expect if you aren't
used to mv.

What I was saying is I don't know why the writers of mv decided to work
on arguments instead of say the whole set of files and then delete or
delete each file when copied no matter how the list was arrived at.

Brent