[mythtv-users] Network boot

mythtv at blandford.net mythtv at blandford.net
Thu Jan 8 19:10:21 UTC 2009

Brad Benson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 12:38 PM, mythtv at blandford.net
> <mailto:mythtv at blandford.net> <mythtv at blandford.net
> <mailto:mythtv at blandford.net>> wrote:
>

>     Another thing that works well for me is to network boot AND get
>     suspend/resume to work.
>
>     I am using minimyth on my diskless frontend.  It mounts its filesystems
>     via NFS.
>
>     I am also using a MCE IR receiver.  With it, I can suspend and resume
>     from the remote.
>

> I have this exact same setup, but I am running the frontend under FC8
> instead of minimyth.  I was never able to get FC8 to correctly
> suspend/resume on the network booting client.  In fact, I'm currently in
> the process of changing that frontend over to CentOS 5.2 and I'd like to
> revisit the suspend/resume issue when I do this.
>
> How are you doing this?  Are you writing the suspend image to a local
> disk on the netbooting machine?  CF card maybe?  My machine is currently
> diskless, but I have a CF card and IDE->CF adapter that I could use if
> that's what I need to do.

Suspend to Ram.

I didn't really even have to configure anything with minimyth.  it just
worked out of the box.

I did have to flip a jumper on my motherboard to tell it to wake from
USB, but thats about it.

I have no IDE, CF, or any type of "disk" in my frontend.

I rarely have to actually do a full boot.

Michael