[mythtv-users] Transcoding is being done on frontends, not backend

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Jan 8 21:49:11 UTC 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 1:39 PM, Will wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a Master Backend, and several frontends.
>
> Recently I set up a diskless machine with PXE boot for a mythtv
> frontend. On another frontend, I went to the information page and saw
> that transcoding was being done on "ubuntu".
>
> For some reason, this diskless machine was doing the transcoding!
>
> How can I restrict which computers transcode (or only have my master
> backend transcode)?
>
> This diskless machine does not have a tuner, and there is no reason it
> should be transcoding. No other machine (including master backend) was
> busy.

Remove the mythbackend from your frontend machine. There is no reason
to have it running or even installed.

To answer the question on how to restrict which computers transcode,
you need to run mythtv-setup on the machine and tell it which jobs to
allow (comm flag, transcode, and/or specify user jobs). Uncheck them
all for none, but as I said above, just remove mythbackend. You don't
need it on a frontend-only machine.

-Brad