[mythtv-users] backends without tuners (was Re: Transcoding is being done on frontends, not backend)

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 02:21:32 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com>wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2009, at 5:21 PM, jarpublic at gmail.com wrote:
>

> I am a little confused now. I was aware of the fact that tunerless backends
>> are unsupported. But in the thread that this one branch from, I thought it
>> was said that running a frontend only system without a backend is also
>> unsupported. So if only FE/BE or BE systems are officially supported and
>> only BE with tuners are supported, then what is a supported FE only machine?
>> Does this actually mean that on a FE only machine we should install BE but
>> we should then take steps post install to make sure the BE doesn't run,
>> because there are no tuners? Or have misunderstood what was said? This seems
>> awfully convoluted to me.
>>

>> Sorry, where does it say running a frontend without a backend is
>> unsupported?
>>

> Mike said it at the end of the thread about transcoding on frontends:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/365123#365123. He said:
>
> "Yeah, just not worth the space, and since the only supported configuration
> is an installation of both mythfrontend and mythbackend"
>
> It didn't sound right to me, so I assumed I was reading it wrong or
> confused. What does that comment mean?
>

> Installing, not running. He said that because frontend shares libraries
> with backend and no one has a package that cleanly installs one without the
> other and since the space savings is negligible, there's no incentive to.
> Supported method is installing both and only running a backend when you have
> a tuner in the machine. The frontend has no backend requirement other than
> being able to connect to the master backend properly.

I have always just run an ubuntu system. I can just install the frontend and
the apt packages pull in the correct libraries. However, if I install the
backend with apt then it be setup to run automatically. So I would have to
go in and remove stuff /etc/init.d and probably elsewhere. The previous
advice made it sound like someone like me should always install the backend
on my frontends or I am likely to have problems. However, installing a
backend that won't be used and then trying to remove stuff that the package
installer did seems more likely to break my system. Thanks for the
clarification. I just didn't want to be running a config that wasn't
supported by the devs, but it seems like using the proper meta-packages with
apt will get things done correctly for me. I will leave it alone.