[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HDPVR settings

john jppoet at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 06:55:46 UTC 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 11:36 PM, Eppo Eppleston wrote:

> I'm just wondering what settings you are using for your HDPVR.
> currently i'm running my box using the component outs, and its set
> for 720p. should i set custom video bitrates or the max bitrate? or
> anyone recommend changing the settings for
> brightness,contrast,sharpness,hue or saturation?
> just curious if anyone is having better luck with any custom settings?
> thanks

Bit rate is up to you, and how powerful your frontend is.  I have to
limit the bitrate if I want to use timestretch (without VDPAU),
because otherwise my 3.6GHz (E8400) can't keep up.

For good shows, that I know I am not going to want to use timestretch
on, I use CBR at maximum.

For shows that I don't care about maximum quality, or want to use
timestretch with, I use VBR at maximum.

FYI, if the max slider is set less than the avg slider, that results
in CBR at the avg slider setting.  If you want to use VBR, always set
the max slider at MAX, then adjust the avg slider to achieve the
desired result.

The other settings (brightness, contrast, sharpness, hue, saturation)
don't work, so don't bother trying to adjust them.

John