[mythtv-users] Network boot

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Jan 9 15:14:04 UTC 2009

Gareth Glaccum wrote:
> Paul Bender wrote:
> Second, at least some TFTP servers require a special command line flag to
> enable the TFTP server to create files. In the case of the TFTP server that
> comes with CentOS 5.x, the '-c' command line option must be added in
> /etc/xinetd.d/tftp.
>
> Another thing to try, add a couple of -v to the tftpd command line in the
> xinet.d/tftp, it helps to have information on what is going on. I find when
> tftpservers don't allow uploads, touching a file with the same name and
> making it mode 777 helps. Gareth

First, my distro requires the '-c' flag for tftp to create files;

Second, it would never have occurred to me to use a '-v' flag to debug the tftp
process, but it did help me solve the immediate problem;

Third, my in.tftp process runs via xinetd as root; all the files in the
/var/lib/tftpboot tree are r+w root, read everyone else, but it still would not
create the required file;

Fourth, touching the file and leaving it with default 0600 perms did not work
(permissions denied);

Finally, setting the perms to 0666 enabled it to work. I don't think, bearing in
mind that this is tftp we're talking about, running as root, that allowing it to
create or use files with execute permissions is such a good idea.

Although I finally got it to work, I still would like to know why it didn't
before. I *hate* having to use some kind of bodgery to fix something without
knowing why it was broken in the first place.

Also, it never occurred to me that once the nfsroot had been switched on the
client that the client would make use of tftp again, but since the nfsroot is
mounted read-only this should have been apparent.

Thanks, Paul and Gareth.

--

Mike Perkins