greg greg12866 at nycap.rr.com
Fri Jan 9 17:58:47 UTC 2009

William M. Sorgenfrei wrote:
> I appreciate the advice.  I tried mythbuntu and could not get it running.
> Had database problems.  So I scrapped it and went back to suse11.1.  As my
> luck would have it I am still having database issues.
>
> For whatever reason mythtv still cannot connect to the database.  I have
> verified mysql.txt as well as the username and password.  I can log into the
> database via mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg.  I also verified that the
> mythtv user account has the correct privs for the home directory.
>
> I have configured the system with a static ip address and I made an entry in
> the /etc/hosts file to ensure name resolution.  Am I missing something?  How
> do you configure the listener in MySQL?  I noticed my.cnf has port 3306, but
> mythtv uses 6544 and 6543.  Furthermore, I do not see any entries for the
> mythtv user or mythconverg in my.cnf
>
> Thanks for your help,
> BILL
>

> If you are a beginner I would suggest you start with one of the "All-in-One"
>
> disks like Mythbuntu, Mythdora, KnoppMyth or the like. Unfortunately there
> is
> no such animal based on SuSE.
>
> These disks will generally give you a working installation in well under an
> hour, this will allow you to experience how things are supposed to work, how
>
> to configure things etc. You can then move on to your favorite Linux distro
> and a customized "from scratch" installation.
>
> The best way forward would depend on how much Linux experience you have, are
>
> you a beginner with Myth or Linux in general?
>
> You should be able to use a DVI-to-HDMI cable, though of course you won't be
>
> able to push audio through it.
>
> With satellite you record the output of the satellite receiver, as
> composite,
> S-Video or even component (if using an HD-PVR). You can control the receiver
>
> with an IR blaster, though some of the DirecTV receivers can be controled by
>
> the serial port.
>
> Obviously you should start with a single frontend, then get the second one
> running after the system is up.

For what it's worth,i downloaded the new Mythdora 10.21 last night..I
installed it on a spare hard drive...It took a little over a hour and
half from start to watching TV... I didn't check to see if my remote
worked,but the install and setup was painless.. It just plain worked....
They did a real nice job on mythdora 10.21..