[mythtv-users] Best atsc/qam/ntsc tuner for closed captions?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 15:26:41 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:34 AM, faginbagin <mythtv at hbuus.com> wrote:
> I've started thinking about my next Myth box and need some advice on
> tuners. This box must be able to tune atsc/qam and ntsc channels and
> closed captions MUST be supported on all three channel types. I assume
> there's no issue with CCs and atsc/qam channels, other than choosing to
> playback EIA-608 vs 708. But what about CCs and ntsc channels?
>
> I've been doing research on tuners that support both digital and analog
> and am confused about whether there are any whose drivers support closed
> captions when recording analog channels. Both linuxtv.org and mythtv.org
> wikis seem to agree that CC is not yet supported for the Hauppauge
> HVR-1600. But there's no clear statement on either wiki about the
> pcHDTV-5500. So I thought I'd ask here whether anyone is getting closed
> captions on ntsc channels using a tuner that also supports atsc/qam. If
> so, what tuner and what myth version and distro are you using?
>
> FWIW, I'm a basic cable subscriber to WOW in metro Detroit, so I expect
> to need an ntsc tuner for some time. I'd like to record the handful of
> clear qam channels I see on my HDTV. If I get fed up with my cable
> provider, I might try antenna at some point in time. Being close to
> Canada, I'll want to tune in their analog broadcasts. I've currently got
> a single BE/FE with a PVR-150 running ubuntu 7.10 and mythtv 0.20.2. I
> want to leave that box alone while I build and test a new BE/FE that
> supports both analog and digital. When I'm happy with the new box, I'll
> convert the existing box into a slave BE/FE. I'm thinking the new box
> will run mythbuntu 8.10 and mythtv 0.21.
>
> TIA,
> Helen

I'm using the HD-5500 for OTA DTV only (no cable, no analog) and
captions seem to work great if I a) Turn off the "Prefer 708 Captions"
option (the 708 captions apparently need some work) and b) use either
the standard decoder (ffmeg) or XvMC (as libmpeg2 doesn't handle
captions).

I'd think that when tuning digital stations, which tuner card you're
using shouldn't be a factor, as it's pretty much passing through
exactly what it gets.  The decoder is really what has to recognize
them.

Tom