[mythtv-users] Recording from Sky?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jan 12 15:40:31 UTC 2009

Ian Clark wrote:

>Hopefully FreeSat will force them to make seperate CAM modules
>available so people who want to use Myth and the like yet still
>actually pay will have a choice.

Don't hold your breath. I think Sky "going open"
is as likely as porcine aviation ! The reason
they won't let anyone have a CAM is that they
need to control the features in the receiver -
for example, the only reason they can enforce
paying an extra 10/mo for recording stuff (Sky+)
is because they control the software in the boxes
and so they can control which boxes (and with
which viewing cards) it can be done. Their whole
business model is built around closed technology
and "customer" lock-in.

Supporting open recording systems, whether
appliance boxes or systems like MythTV, will be
something they will try as hard as they can to
avoid.

--
Simon Hobson