[mythtv-users] oom-killer on the loose.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jan 12 23:51:34 UTC 2009

On 01/12/2009 06:02 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Richard Thomas wrote:
>
>> I should also mention that I'm using EIT (which seems to work pretty
>> well even if it is a little short on data and hideously wrong in a few
>> places) though I'll be switching the schedules direct later.
>>
> I understand that can chew a bit of memory and/or may have a leak (not
> defaming the devs, just something I picked up perusing the odd thread
> here and there).

And switching to Schedulers Direct (for only $0.055 per day) will likely
fix the problem a /lot/ quicker than the devs (likewise not picking on
the devs, but meaning that a lot of time has already been spent on
finding out why there's a memory leak and why it only affects some
people--and the leak itself still has to be found).

Oh, and if you think about it--let's say that it takes devs 70 days***
of work to track down the issue.  That would only be $3.84 worth of a SD
subscription.  Or, if you do the 1-week free trial, and /then/
subscribe, it's only $3.45 (yes, you can save almost $0.39 by signing up
for that free one-week trial).  And, in the meantime, you'd actually
have excellent data that makes you question your having commented that
EIT in your are "work[s] pretty well even if it is a little short on
data." ;)

If that's not a good enough plan for you, you could try to buy some more
RAM.  Let's say that you spend the $20 to buy 4GB more RAM.  That may
allow you to run Myth for 4-8 days before the system locks up.

Or you could hire a developer (what's the standard rate?  $100/hr?) to
fix it for us.  :)

Mike

***70 is just a number I happened to type.  Feel free to interpret that
to mean "it may be fixed within 70 days" or "the devs may spend 70
"business" (8-hour) days of their available MythTV development time
working the issue" or "the devs may spend 70 full (24-hours) days of
their Myth dev time working the issue".  Your guess about when it will
be fixed/how long it will take is as good as mine (feel free to consult
Trac to see just how long the tickets for it have been open/how long
they've already been working).  The number here is actually meaningless,
but just used to indicate that you get a lot for your $20 for an SD
subscription.  :)