[mythtv-users] oom-killer on the loose.

Richard Thomas rich at dicksonlife.com
Wed Jan 14 05:03:17 UTC 2009

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> And switching to Schedulers Direct (for only $0.055 per day) will likely
> fix the problem a /lot/ quicker than the devs (likewise not picking on
> the devs, but meaning that a lot of time has already been spent on
> finding out why there's a memory leak and why it only affects some
> people--and the leak itself still has to be found).

It would be nice if that would fix it. OTOH, it would also be nice to
know what the issue actually was. Is it definitely an EIT thing? I'm
definitely going SD anyway, I just need to schedule a couple of hours so
that if things go wrong, there's time to fix it :)
> Oh, and if you think about it--let's say that it takes devs 70 days***
> of work to track down the issue.  That would only be $3.84 worth of a SD
> subscription.  Or, if you do the 1-week free trial, and /then/
> subscribe, it's only $3.45 (yes, you can save almost $0.39 by signing up
> for that free one-week trial).  And, in the meantime, you'd actually
> have excellent data that makes you question your having commented that
> EIT in your are "work[s] pretty well even if it is a little short on
> data." ;)

The EIT was more of a "let's give it a shot". It actually has a lot of
potential. A couple of the channels have 2 weeks of guide data.
Unfortunately, the other channels maybe have 12 hours and are incorrect
in some places. Being incorrect is a little surprising considering that
the source is from the channels directly. On the other hand, maybe it is
also a symptom of whatever bug is causing the OOM issues.
> If that's not a good enough plan for you, you could try to buy some more
> RAM.  Let's say that you spend the $20 to buy 4GB more RAM.  That may
> allow you to run Myth for 4-8 days before the system locks up.

More swap would be a more likely solution. Given that it only happens
every few days, it seems possible that I am "only just" running out of
memory and a couple of more gigs of swap would solve that neatly. Though
as I say, I really haven't seen any memory issues directly so far. I'll
try some monitoring and see what pops up.
> Or you could hire a developer (what's the standard rate?  $100/hr?) to
> fix it for us.  :)

I am a developer (C/C++, perl, php, whatever) and I'm not above getting
my hands dirty on this. mythtv seems like something worth donating some
time to. OTOH, if someone already knows a solution or can say "run this
and it will tell you where to look for the problem", it would be a lot
easier. Sounds like I need to look into this valgrind thing.

Do you have a couple of ticket numbers for those issues? (I can probably
find them with a search but a direct reference always speeds things along).