[mythtv-users] Start MythTV on Display I want (and if not there, next one I want)

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 16:09:03 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 7:03 AM, Allen Edwards
<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks all so much for the replies, I guess I was not clear.  Let me try again.
>
> I have an Nvidia 6200 with three outputs.  DVI is going to a switch
> and a projector.  The switch is used to disconnect the projector so
> that the card does not see it.  The VGA output is going to an LCD
> display.  The SVideo output is going to a TV.
>
> I want to have myth go to the projector or the TV but not the LCD
> display.  If I restart X with the projector connected, myth starts on
> the projector just like I want.  If I restart myth with the projector
> disconnected, myth starts on the LCD display.  This is not what I
> want, I want it to start on the TV.
>
> If the LCD display is removed, I can start on the TV or the projector
> like I want.  The problem comes from adding LCD as myth prefers the
> VGA output over the SVideo output.  I want the LCD for system monitor
> and other functions but I do not want myth to ever start there.

For now I have been closing myth on the LCD and opening it manually on
the TV.  This works, but is a real pain and not wife friendly.

> What I have tried is to mess with the xorg.conf assignments per my
> earlier post but had no joy.

After reading the nvidia readme for the hundredth time (exaggeration)
I found the option "ConnectedMonitor" and tried a couple of things
that I thought might work but boy did they not work.  They put my
monitors in low resolution mode and locked them together.  Restarting
X after restoring xorg.conf did not even fix this so I had to do a
power cycle.  I was afraid I would have to reinstall the driver like I
did last time it went into low res mode after a system update so I
guess I was fortunate.

I can't afford to mess up the system by experimenting with obsolete
settings.  I know, because TVOverScan is definately both documented
and not in the driver, that this documentation is not up to date.

I continue to hope there is someone out there who knows how this stuff
works and can lend me a hand.  If I just experiment and mess it up, I
am sleeping on the couch.

Allen