[mythtv-users] More hours of messing with mythtv yield zero result

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 22:11:22 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 4:59 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> Igor Chudov wrote:
> > Trying to connect to mysql by using these credentials are successful:
> >
> > kinozal:tv:~==>echo SELECT NULL | mysql -umythtv -pcrap0 mythconverg
> > NULL
> > NULL
> >
> > So at this point the problem, wherever it is, is not about database
> > credentials, unless I am missing something. Despite the annoyed tone
> > of my previous message, I would like to solve my mythtv problems.
>
> It might still be about database credentials.  What happens when you do:
> "mysql -h127.0.0.1 -umythtv -pcrap0 mythconverg
>
> Confusingly, mysql client's idea of what "localhost" is is not the same
> as Myth's.  MythTV makes a network connection to the loopback address,
> like any normal app, but mysql client uses a local UNIX socket.  It's
> possible to have the database credentials set up in a way that works
> with one but not the other.

If you weren't a big fan of the full ubuntu install you can still benefit
from the mythbuntu control center. Just use aptitude to install
mythbuntu-control-centre. It will give you a gui that will let you select
what you want or don't want installed in your mythtv configuration. Then it
will make sure that things get setup properly with minimal input from you.
It won't mess with the rest of your system and it will make sure you get all
of the right mythtv packages installed in the right order, etc. It is the
recommended way of installing mythtv in Intrepid. If you don't want to go
that route you can try running dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database. That is the
metapackage that sets up the database during install.