[mythtv-users] Best simple/cheap Front End?

Mark Wormgoor mark at wormgoor.com
Wed Jan 14 07:33:43 UTC 2009

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 3:11 PM, jason bright <jaybright at gmail.com> wrote:
>> For size, an AppleTV looks pretty tough to beat. But there are quite a
>> few
>> cheapy uPNP compatible boxes floating around as well.
>
> Am I missing something? Doesn't a box need a little more than just
> UPNP support to act as a mythfrontend?

That depends on what you're looking for. I use a UPNP device (Buffalo
Linktheater) on a daily basis for playing back recorded tv, videos and
music. It's a DVD player which also includes a UPNP frontend. It's quick to
bootup and looks like my other equipment. It's got a much better WAF then
using a computer which takes 30 seconds to boot.

I use mythweb for scheduling recordings and other stuff. On the very limited
number of occasions where I need a real frontend (like creating cutlists for
exporting), I'll boot up Mythbuntu somewhere else.

Kind regards,

Mark