[mythtv-users] spdif passthrough toggle

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 03:23:50 UTC 2009

It is actually a little more complicated although I think some of the
new HD Audio chips should be able to do it.  What you want is the
passthrough of the SPDIF untouched by alsa or pulse audio and yet you
want a stereo decode of the data stream for your TV.

I have the same setup and what I did was take an old Technics digital
decoder box and set it to stereo.  Its outputs go to the TV.  I hook
up to the spdif connection on the MB and built a level shifter out of
some resistors and a capacitor to provide the signal to the second
decoder.  The main decoder is 5.1.  These boxes have DTS and show up
on ebay occasionally. One sold recently for $120.

If anyone figures out how to do this with the internal hardware, I am
switching over.

Allen