[mythtv-users] Issues with audio over HDMI

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 14:48:36 UTC 2009

2009/1/18 Phil Wild <philwild at gmail.com>

> Hello all,
>
> I am chasing some expert advice...
>
> I am building my first MythTV frontend. I have an Asus m3n78-em motherboard
> with onboard HDMI. I have install mythbuntu amd64. I have upgraded alsa to
> 1.0.18.
>
> I can send audio to the TV through hdmi using aplay
>
> e.g. aplay /usr/share/sounds/card_shuffle.wav
>
> aplay -l lists
>
> root at juliette:~# aplay -l
> card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> root at juliette:~#
>

> and I have setup a default entry in /etc/asound.conf as
>
> pcm.!default {
>         type hw
>         card 0
>         device 3
> }
>
> From within mythtv, I can send sound and video to the screen from an apple
> movie trailer, but with liveTV or a recording from my backend with a Nova-T
> 500, I get no sound. I am trying to figure out if the sound issue is a
> backend problem or a frontend problem.
>
> Where should I be looking?

I have gotten a little further and now know my issue is somehow related to
mythtv. I have exported my backend recordings directory and have mounted it
on my frontend via nfs. This allowed my to open one of the .mpg files with
mplayer and it played on the TV with audio through the hdmi cable.

MythTV however, does not give me audio from live TV or recordings..

Cheers

Phil