[mythtv-users] pchtv5500 sound setup for stb

John Finlay finlay at moeraki.com
Sun Jan 18 20:00:31 UTC 2009

Jim Cuzella wrote:
> John Finlay wrote:
>
>> You also need to connect the audio out plug to the line-in jack on
>> your MB.
>>
>> John
>>

> John,  do you know if there is a way to get audio straight from the 5500
> through DMA?  I've tried connecting the loop cable on my card to
> line-in, however I get *really* bad crackly audio through this method
> (see reference 1... thanks buggy snd_hda_intel).  From reading threads
> about this in various places on the net, it seems this either may or may
> not be possible when using the analog input (see references 2->4).
> However, I have had no such luck using "alsamixer -c 1" and setting the
> 5500's Conexant Cx8801 to capture  (the Cx88 is card #1, my ALC888 is
> card #0).

My tests indicate that the HD-5500 can read analog NTSC audio using its
/dev/dsp device only from the RF input. I used tvtime to set the channel
on the 5500 and then recorded the output of the dsp device using
arecord. I also have used mythtv to record the audio and video of the RF
input without using the jumper.

When I tried recording using the SVideo and composite inputs, the only
audio program provided from the internal dsp was from the RF input.
AFAICT the only way to record audio when using the SVideo or conposite
inputs is by plugging the jumper into the line-in of an audio card and
specifying that audio card's dsp as the audio input.

John