[mythtv-users] Does your wireless work better than mine?

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 02:35:21 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 9:23 PM, Delphi Real Estate <
Info at delphi-real-estate.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 7:27 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > You have very little chance of getting HD streaming over wireless.
> > > Most people on the list won't even help you with problems you might be
> > > having once they hear about the wireless.
> > >
> > > If I couldn't get it to work one floor up and about 20 feet over, you
> > > probably never will. I would suggest reading up on fish lines and
> > > cable crimping and start looking into running cat5.
> > >
> > > Sorry.
>
> What?!  I do nothing -BUT- stream wireless, ATSC mpeg2 HD & SD, Dish mpeg2,
> H.264, HD & SD, without a glitch.
>
> OP, contact me off-list if you'd like my input.

This is certainly the exception not the norm. I am probably at the opposite
end of the spectrum. I live in a densely populated area, ie I can see 15+
access points from my house. I couldn't even get 6 mbit mpeg2 recordings to
stream to the next room reliably. After trying everything for a couple of
years, I finally ran some cat5e and went ahead an upgraded to a gigabit
switch while I was at it. It was well worth the Saturday and the $100 I
spent on it. Wireless may work for some with ideal setups and those lucky
enough to not have any of the many 802.11 interference sources. So it was
worth a try, but if it isn't working your are unlikely to get it to work.
You may be fine with SD (many are) but highly unlikely with HD.