[mythtv-users] Blu-ray Disc

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 14:42:31 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 6:24 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > However, Linux support is pretty-much non-existent right now.
> But the essentials do work.  If all you want is to rip and play the
> movie, and you don't care about the games/fancy menus and such, and
> you're willing to rip first and watch later, then it's fair to say
> that all of the important parts of BluRay playing are working.  The
> picture and sound quality is vastly superior.
>
> (Caveat: Some of the newest discs still require Slysoft's AnyDVD
> decryptor for the ripping stage.)

Agreed.  I kind of like everything coming through my Myth interface and
don't have a stand-alone player.  Ripping first doesn't take that long (and
AnyDVD will run under a VM by the way).  You do need a beefy front-end to
playback.  Or - use use the nvidia beta drivers and mplayer using VDPAU
(just for movies - not myth), or use a recent SVN of handbrake to transcode
to a slightly less demanding bitrate (which still gives you much better
quality than a DVD, but of course you loose a *bit* of quality.)