[mythtv-users] Mythmusic: A novel idea; Apple HD Trailers: not so HD

Adam Stylinski kungfujesus06 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 03:50:25 UTC 2009

MythMusic:

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement this, but I have an idea
so obvious that it confuses me that this functionality doesn't already
exist.  Much like how mythmusic has the ability to read  from a CD, why
can't it pull from other various configured devices (for example, utilize
libgpod to read the iTunes Database and play from an iPod).  Amarok can do
this along with a variety of other players, and I don't think it would
complicate matters too badly (although I'm not sure to what extent libgpod
simplifies things).  This would be comparable to many consumer devices which
offer the ability to dock and ipod and play straight from it.  The same
effect can be achieved in software through a docking station while still
allowing for bit quality audio through an external DAC (such as on a
receiver).  Yes, all of my audio library is network accessible, but this
would be for the case that a friend brings an ipod over, and I don't feel
like pulling up gtkpod to transfer and/or listen to the music (I have an
anti-iTunes house).  On top of that, it could be done for not-so-special
case devices (i.e. generic mass storage devices like thumb drives, external
hard drives, and basic mp3 players).  Anyway, just an idea.

Unofficial Apple Trailer Plugin: I must say this a very neat, yet sloppy and
breakable implementation.  I have tried to correct the PHP to the best of my
ability, but it seems to only want to grab URL's containing standard
definition resolutions into the array of the supposed valid URL's.  I'd
messed around, enabling debug, try to explicitly force functions, fixed the
flaw that looks for HD video in an "/hd" subdirectory that no longer exists
on a per movie basis anymore, still it grabs the 480p versions.  I have yet
to look at the raw RSS feed itself that the script uses (something like
"Newtrailers"), but from what I gathered it tries to deduce the truncated
subdirectory on apple's trailer site from which to find the movie's page.
 It then looks for URL's from there.  Has anybody else had better luck with
this?  I'm doing the "Download with a cronjob" version on 0.4.21 for the
sake of having them immediately when I wish to view them.  I sympathize with
the obvious perl hater who wrote it, but I'm not the greatest at PHP hacking
(I'm not quite sure if there is or how to get to a line by line interpreter
for it).  Anyway, please contact me if anybody actually found a fix for this
plugin so that it actually grabs HD video.