[mythtv-users] Fwd: Digital Audio on HDMI MB not working

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 13:30:11 UTC 2009

It works! It works! It works!

I am not sure what I have done differently this time but now it is
working....

For the record....

I have an Asus M3N78-EM MicroATX motherboard with both onboard HDMI and
SPDIF.
I am running mythbuntu amd64
Alsa has been upgraded to 1.0.18 using the AlsaUpgrade-1.0 script

aplay -l shows

root at juliette:/etc# aplay -l
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
root at juliette:/etc#

aplay -L shows

root at juliette:/etc# aplay -L
default:CARD=NVidia
    HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
null

I have created a system wide preferences file for alsa (/etc/asound.conf)
which looks like the following...

pcm.!default {
        type hw
        card 0
        device 3
}

The existence of the above file makes no difference to MythTV but is needed
for base OS audio functionality (e.g. launching vlc etc without specifying
an output audio device.

My mythtv settings are:

Audio output device: ALSA:hw:0,3
Passthrough output device: ALSA:hw:0,3
Max Audio Channels: Stereo
Enabale AC3 to SPDIF passthrough checked
Enable DTS to SPDIF passthrough checked
Aggressive sound card buffering off
Use internal volume controls off

With all the above set, I get audio and video through HDMI

Many thanks for everyone's help!

Now to get the LCD display and remote working....

Cheers

Phil