[mythtv-users] QT programming question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jan 20 19:59:40 UTC 2009

On 01/20/2009 08:07 AM, Nasa wrote:

> I am working on porting a plugin to qt4 and am running into a slight
> issue...
>

> The issue surrounds QProcess, example code follows:

Remember a week ago in IRC (I'm pretty sure that was you) when I said,
"Post a question to the -users list with appropriate /details/ and
code?"  By that, I was suggesting that you actually /divulge/ the
information to entice people into helping you.  (If that wasn't you,
please ignore this paragraph and take the rest of them as my advice to
you.  :)

Telling people that you're porting "a plugin," does /very/ little to get
them excited to help you.  Telling people that you're porting MythVodka
(a plugin which many people are likely to be interested in using) would
be a /much/ better sell.

And, code out of context is /much/ more difficult to debug.  How would
we know, for example, that you have shown us all the relevant code
and/or that you have properly determined the source of the problem
(rather than an area where things are failing due to some other
prerequisite code being incorrect).  I highly recommend you post the
current patch (or at least a link to the patch).  This way, any trunk
users who happen to want to use MythVodka can download MythVodka and
your patch and--rather than just blindly guessing--can actually use
trial and error to help debug.  (After all, there /is/ a reason that the
MythTV development process is publicly visible on an open SVN server.
So, if it works for Myth, it may work for MythVodka.  :)

Sure, doing it that way may mean that you have to share the glory, but
at least you'll be able to share the working plugin, too.  :)

Just my $0.02.

Mike