[mythtv-users] Upgrade and moving of backend

Gareth Glaccum gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com
Thu Jan 22 12:12:17 UTC 2009

I was intending on upgrading my backend for mythtv. Unfortunately this box is on a F7 OS and is thus getting out of date.
This box also performs a webservice and diskless boot services for some of the machines.
I have one other machine which is used as a front-end, with disk, which would be powerful enough to be a backend temporarily (but not diskless boot server I think), and two machines without disks which are used as frontends.

I was intending to upgrade to F10 on the downstairs machine with disks, then install svn/trunk, check that everything worked, transfer the database and storage to this machine, then upgrade the server with F10 and svn/trunk, sort out the webserver etc. then transfer everything back again.

I looked through the howtos on transfering from one host to another and as such this seemed like a feasable upgrade path.

The snag comes, in that the F7 version of myth is I think 0.21, and svn is 0.22. Even loading a front-end up starts to try and make an upgrade to the database. (personally an auto-upgrade is fine, but should be performed by a backend service only, not a frontend. What would happen if someone with a Upnp frontend on their laptop plugged into a backend network [badly configured with the default mythtv at mysql u/p available to all dhcp hosts], it would upgrade the backend database possibly to the point where the backend crashes).

So my question is (and I think there are more people likely to have done a staged upgrade on this list), will the 0.22 upgrade crash the backend (I thiny yes). Can anyone suggest a suitable (less stressy downtime...) upgrade pattern here?

I want to stick with Fedora / Redhat based real OS, and would like to go to trunk, as if I ever get any free-time I want to start to dabble again.
Thanks,
Gareth