[mythtv-users] OT: mATX HTPC cases with LCD/VFD

A JM vbtalent at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 12:26:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> 2009/1/22 A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com>:
> > Sorry for my ignorance as this is my first case with a display. What is
> the
> > difference between an LCD and VFD and what are the benefits? Are they
> > synonymous for one another?
>
> A LCD is made of pixels... and you need a backlight
>
> A VFD is made of segments and the segments themselves can produce
> light. Typically this is the kind of display you will find in
> microwave or VCR
>
> A VFD is usually much easier to read than a LCD, but you are limited
> in what you can display to whatever has been pre-set..
>
> Jean-Yves
>

> > Are you applying that patch to LCDproc 0.4.5 for iMON
> > (http://venky.ws/projects/imon/#standalone)?
>
> If you use Ubuntu, I've made patches that you can directly apply to
> the LIRC code...
>

> > "To get lirc to automatically detect the display as an LCD instead of a
> VFD,
> > you need to use lirc from CVS."
> >
> > Also, a bit of enlightening for me would help... is this compiled before
> > Myth along with or seperate of Myth?
>
> The LCD in those cases is rather recentm and reports pretty much the
> same kind of property on the USB port. So old version of LIRC sees it
> as the old VFD screen rather than the newer LCD.
>
> Once you update LIRC or patch the existing one, it recognises the
> screen properly.
>
> Hope this help
> Jean-Yves

"If you use Ubuntu, I've made patches that you can directly apply to
the LIRC code..."

I do use Ubuntu, are your patches widely available or only for personal use?

I'm assuming your patches are to address the same issues as what David was
running into? great information David.

"To get lirc to automatically detect the display as an LCD instead of a
VFD, you need to use lirc from CVS.  Specifically, you need revision
1.32 or later of lirc_imon.c.  If you don't want to use all unreleased
lirc, just drop that one file into lirc-0.8.4a.  I'm actually using it
with lirc-0.8.3."