[mythtv-users] mythbackend still eats memory: the current status

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Sat Jan 24 15:21:48 UTC 2009

Allan Stirling wrote:
> The patch in 19705 had nothing really to do with EIT parsing. It was in
> the handling of freeing memory for NITs and SDTs.
>
> Have you actually tried disabling EIT?

It was my misunderstanding/miscommunication then.
I throw EIT and NIT/SDT (?) on the same heap in my unfamiliarity. ('just
another packet...')
I ran the backend without EIT when I found out about the 'eats memory'
issue.

> Myth actually has some support for increased buffers to work around
> increased latency caused by valgrind:
> ./configure --enable-valgrind --compile-type=profile
>
> Can you please try these on your production system, for a short (4 hour)
> run?

Does building with these options cause issues for a normal run?
If not I could add these options by default for my next build.

> I would suggest that without DVB cards matching your production system,
> a test system will not reproduce this leak.

Is the driver for the card causing the leak you mean?
Or is the data handed over from the card to the backend causing this?
Please explain.

> It may also be valuable to back up your database and try current trunk.

I ran trunk for a long while but was then cursed^H^H^H^H^H^Hasked to try
-fixes only to find that -fixes had the same issues.
So I am still on fixes beause -fixes also provides me with multirec and
other features  which wasn't the case in the past.

Thanks,
Udo