[mythtv-users] US to postpone analog TV death

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Sat Jan 24 22:54:50 UTC 2009

Brian Wood wrote:
> greg wrote:
>> David Brodbeck wrote:
>>>>
>>> I'm not too surprised.  Hawaii recently switched and it reportedly did
>>> *not* go well.
>> They could delay it for a year and still the same people won't be ready.
>
> It's already been delayed more than once.
>
> How about we just give it up, and let the market determine if people
> want it?

Spectrum has already been sold. Money has already been used to pay for
converter box coupons. At this point, not switching would cost the
government billions.

The television broadcasters got there digital channels on the condition
that they would give up their analog channels. If the television
broadcasters want to continue to use the analog channels, then they
should pay for them.

> Of course that would upset the wireless companies that are chomping at
> the bit for more spectrum to screw us with.
>
> Maybe if we in the US didn't have to come up with the spectrum for 3
> competing and incompatible systems this wouldn't be an issue.

Actually, desire for this spectrum has nothing to do with this. It has a
lot to do with the difference in prorogation characteristics.