[mythtv-users] interesting dct-3416 firewire issue

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 23:35:01 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Dan Linder <dan at linder.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Steven
> Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> At my parents, trying to get their computer recording from their cable
>> box. they only have DVR's so I'm stuck testing with a DCT-3416.
>

> I have a DCH-3416 here in Omaha Nebraska (COX Cable) and was never able to
> get anything through the firewire.  The FW utils would see something to talk
> with, but I couldn't get it to respond, pass video, or even switch channels.
>  I even had the cable tech out who worked with me on it.  Since we needed
> the DVR feature we couldn't just swap out a different box either.
> This was about 9 months ago so maybe the FW on Linux and/or the DCH3416 has
> progressed since then.
> Good luck - if you get it to work I might petition my provider to give me a
> DCT-3416 if it has DVR.  Do you know the differences between my DCH and your
> DCT?
> Dan
> --
> "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
> Satires of Juvenal
> "I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov (Author)
> ** *** ***** ******* *********** *************

Box model is of little relevance to firewire operation in Linux or
with Myth.  The operation of the firewire ports is defined on a
*per-program* basis, which is set individually *per headend*.  That's
a fancy way of saying the same box on one block with one provider
might work perfectly, and might fail with the same provider one town
over with the same exact equipment and subscription.  Moreover, you
might find that a given channel is fine at 6 AM, and 5C'd at 6 PM.
This is the joy that is firewire capture under any operating system.
Yay cable companies!

Robert