[mythtv-users] Hardware advice requested.

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Tue Jan 27 15:47:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> Really ?
>
> All HD-DVD rips will be VC-1 encoded, and quite a few BD are encoded with
> VC-1
>
> Look at the list of the newly released Bluray:
> http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/
>
> I'd say the majority of them is encoded with VC-1

Interesting, I haven't tried many of mine, but those I did try were h264. I
usually use the PS3 for BD playback. If I do rip them, I'll transcode I
guess. It's time consuming, but support for h264 is simply better. I never
did HD-DVD. I sat out the format war.

Of course, downloading is probably faster than transcoding with my current
hardware. Gotta love how "piracy" is more convenient. Owell. Time for that
quad core CPU I guess.

> > it. If I do, and I really must play it, I suppose I'll transcode.
> Hopefully
> > NVidia will get better support for it in the future. Even a partial
> offload
> > would help. At the very least, it would be nice to be able to tell BEFORE
> > buy the card if it's supported.
>
> Problem is VDPAU is about doing the decoding 100% in hardware... So
> they can't do things like simply offloading some tasks like they do on
> Windows

I know. I was hoping they would give a little on that side. Particularly
with the fact that it's damn near impossible to figure out if a card you
want to buy will be compatible with VDPAU VC-1.  At the very least, they
need to fix that so we know what to buy. The current situation is just
silly.