[mythtv-users] Sony 200 disc changer

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Jan 28 03:49:19 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 07:24:13PM -0800, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> I find that some DVDs won't rip, but will play.

That is odd, since playing is effectivley ripping + playback without
storing to disk.  (transcoding is admittedly something different but
I had not heard of video that won't transcode.)

> That sounds expensive (they weigh a LOT) and illegal.

Not at all illegal, but you predict it is more expensive to UPS it
to the next guy than to buy one (which normally includes shipping from
the source?)

I must admit I would find something like this handy to rip all my CDs
with only one 30 minute session of slotting them into the thing.  Frankly,
even better would be one where you just stack them on a spindle, not even
putting them in slots.  Like I said, for me DVDs I don't care about but
I know many people do, especially those with kids.  For those who do, having them
on a spare TB disk (keep it spun down when not in use) seems much better than a DVD
jukebox.     And cheaper.

I am curious about this idea of a disk you can't rip, but you can play.
More often, I find the reverse.  If there are errors on the disk, a ripper
can retry again and again, while that screws up playback.