[mythtv-users] Routine Check of Drives can cause me to miss start of recording

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Jan 28 18:20:52 UTC 2009

> I would love to see something like this. Even better IMHO: Do the check
> on shutdown. For me, this makes usually much more sense (same for the
> normal desktop) as I usually have plenty of time, when shutting down my
> computer, whereas I want it to start as quickly as possible. (Wondering,
> why this hasn't bothered anyone else...)

Most people who use ext3 in situations where the routine check is a
problem just turn it off.  In theory this slightly increases the risk of
undetected filesystem corruption (due to bit rot, etc.) but in practice
this is extremely rare.

You can turn off all routine checks as follows:

tune2fs -c 0 /dev/whatever
tune2fs -i 0 /dev/whatever

Replace /dev/whatever with the device holding the filesystem.