[mythtv-users] What is temporal spatial deinterlacing, and how do I get it?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 12:25:58 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/1/29 Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net>:

> Is there an option, at least for 480i, 576i, 720p and 1080i content to
> get MythTV to use an X mode that matches the content? Some TVs have
> really high quality deinterlacing and scaling hardware. Sony's Bravia
> seems to do a really great job of handling SD content. Some TVs don't
> do so well of course, but I'm just thinking of the case where one has
> a TV that does.

Go into the Setup, Appearance and check Separate video mode for GUI
and TV playback.
you can then set a particular refresh rate depending on the resolution
of the video.

Unfortunately, this is based on a resolution only and you can't set a
difference say between 1080i and 1080p

However, you may be disappointed with the end result.
I have a Sony Bravia 46" XBR ; and as this TV does such a magnificent
job at deinterlacing , I thought I should disable the mythtv
deinterlacer, set the refresh rate at say 576i on the TV and let the
Sony does the deinterlacing job...

For one reason or another, it didn't and it looked awful, like no
deinterlacing happened at all..
Seems that Sony deinterlacer and motion engine (as they call it) is
only active when using the build-in tuner. But yes I agree: the Sony
does a great job.

So far, the only good deinterlacer I've found are the ones provided by VDPAU

Jean-Yves