[mythtv-users] Schedule conflicted with itself causing show to not record

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 30 19:00:18 UTC 2009

On 01/30/2009 01:45 PM, Allen Edwards wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

>>> I believe Myth's default is intended to be #2.  At least, that is what
>>> I recall that the wording implies when you configure how much time
>>> before and after to record... the comment at the bottom says something
>>> to the effect of "Extra time (before and after) are ignored when
>>> back-to-back recordings occur."
>> This is when you use soft-padding (the global setting). If you set hard
>> padding (on the individual rule) it will assume the extra time is part of
>> the rule and you really want it all the time.
> I put the pad in the individual rule. I guess that is my problem...

No, actually you scheduled correctly for several reasons:
  a) the maximum for the "Time to record before start/past end of show
(in seconds)" can be set to a maximum of 1800 seconds (30 minutes).
  b) the "Time to record before start/past end of show (in seconds)" is
designed for a completely different purpose
  c) the above description of the "Time to record before start/past end
of show (in seconds)" is a naive simplification.  The time will be
completely ignored if you have 2 back-to-back recordings--even if
they're on different channels as it's a capture card start up/shut down
capability (and Myth will use the same capture card--technically, the
most preferred input--if possible).  The only time this isn't true is
when you specify:

Avoid back to back recordings from different channels
If set, the scheduler will avoid assigning shows from different channels
to the same card if their end time and start time match. This will be
allowed when necessary in order to resolve conflicts.

Which is there to placate people who believe that Myth should read their
minds.  It has the wonderful placebo effect of making people think Myth
just does the right thing and they seldom see the issues that are caused
by their refusing to just do conflict resolution/tell Myth what to do.

It's really not that hard to click on the Upcoming Recordings page in
MythWeb once every 2 weeks and fix any conflicts listed.

Mike