[mythtv-users] Dual or Single core Athlon64 for MythTV front-end machine

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Sat Jan 31 17:45:24 UTC 2009

I'm putting together a dedicated MythTV front-end machine, and at the
moment am picking the CPU, going through the 45W choices at Newegg.

Prime Candidates would be the X2 2350, and the single-core 1640.  The
former is of course dual-cored, clocked at 1.9GHz, with twin 512k L2.
The latter is clocked at 2.6GHz with 1M L2.

My current inclination is to go with the latter.  While it has less
overall crunching power, it's single-thread execution is likely better,
and I don't know how much a MythTV front-end can really use two cores.
I understand that this is a no-brainer for a back-end, that more cores
is better, but it seems an open question to me for a front-end.

Incidentally, some of the other hardware - real or planned:
  Antec Fusion Veris (silver) case - wife-approved and selected
  MSI NX8500GT graphics card - gives me NTSC today, HDMI next year
  ASUS M2N68-AM - least embedded graphics currently in-stock
  IDE-Compact flash adapter, run /var over NFS - diskless system
  2G DDR2 in 2 sticks

Thanks,
Dale Pontius