[mythtv-users] Ownership problem on recordings.

john blue rwc at bestpond.com
Wed Jul 1 06:32:12 UTC 2009

On Tue June 30 2009 08:23:32 Jarod Wilson wrote:

<snip>
> > If you want to change the user or group under which mythbackend is
> > run, you can edit /etc/sysconfig/mythbackend and change the default
> > user and group.
> >
> > The file says that mythbackend should be run as an unprivileged user,
> > but defaults to root:root.
>

> Nb: depending on your distro's users and groups and device access
> policies, doing this can cause all internal capture cards to be
> unusable when the backend is started at boot time, because the backend
> starts before any user is logged in, and thus only root had access to
> the devices. This is true of Fedora, where devices all start out
> root:root, and when a desktop user logs in, hal/udev/whatever grants
> the user permission to use the device via ACLs (used to chown the
> devices, now its all ACL-based). Other distros have a 'video' group or
> similar, which is pre-assigned to video capture cards, and if your
> backend user is a member of that group, they should be fine. Might
> also be able to do some chown/setfacl hackage for distros w/o that.
>
> I have yet to give enough of a damn to change my backend from simply
> running as root, which Just Works, and does NOT cause issues for
> frontends, because as someone else mentioned, the frontend doesn't
> directly delete your recordings, it sends a 'delete this' command to
> the backend, and the backend does the actual deletion.

Jarod,

Thanks for the comments on this and I appreciate the opportunity to read your informative comments on the
list since you have returned.

Thanks to all those who have contributed advice on the queries I raised.  The system is working OK.  I have a
few things to resolve, some of which I will post separately..

John

-