[mythtv-users] LiveTV conflicts with scheduled recording - despite unused tuners on the same box!

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 03:15:23 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/7/2 Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>:
> Because Myth is meant to record TV, and LiveTV is for people who haven't
> figured out how to use a DVR.  :)

I think that view of MythTV is very restrictive for no real reasons
other than LiveTV is really lacking there.

LiveTV isn't implicitly bad, there are many channels where recordings
make no sense other than watching it live: sport and news channel
being the 2 most obvious categories.

> If you want to ensure that Myth always chooses the
> least-likely-to-be-used-for-recordings capture card for LiveTV, enable the
> setting:
>
> Avoid conflicts between live TV and scheduled shows
> f enabled, live TV will choose a tuner card that is less likely to have
> scheduled recordings rather than the best card available.

Unfortunately, this just doesn't seem work as expected in many cases.

My backend has 5 tuners (DVB-T).
I could be watching LiveTV on tuner 1, and the 4 others are free.
One recording is now due on another channel and I get a message about
either exit, record later or switch to that channel.
This happens even with that particular configuration is set.

So maybe, I'm just missing the logic behind "Avoid conflicts between
live TV and scheduled shows", but it certainly doesn't seem to work
sometimes: it asked me to change channels, when 4 other decoders were
available.

The concept of "best recorder" is also a bit flawed I believe in what
I believe is the most common mythtv setup: people with a dual tuner
card, all tuners have the same priority ...

The "record later" is also a very US thing I believe. Very few
channels I know actual do re-broadcast a program at a later stage,
certainly not in Australia or France where I'm most familiar.
.