[mythtv-users] merge guide to show one channel from two sources.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jul 2 04:48:17 UTC 2009

On 07/02/2009 12:37 AM, Ajay Sharma wrote:
> I'm not sure about that title, but here's my setup.  I have local
> channels from Cable and Dish Network.
>
> On my cable system, ABC is channel 7.  From the Dish box, ABC is
> 8000.  So in my guide, I have both channel 8000 and 7.  How can I get
> the guide to only show one entry (ABC)?

Channel numbers and callsigns are user-editable fields.

The channel number's /only/ purpose is to allow you to specify which
channel to tune when watching waste-your-LifeTV, I mean LiveTV.  This
means that when some stupid cable company puts Fox 35 on channel number
3, you can renumber it to 35, where it's meant to be.  The channel
number is /not/ used to tune any channels (freqid is, so don't edit that).

The callsign's /only/ purpose is to allow you to tell MythTV that 2
different channels have substantially-identical content.  (The meaning
of, "Substantially-identical," is /very/ subjective, but really, IMHO,
it should mean, "Exactly-identical.")  This means that if you get the
same channel (content) from 2 different video sources, you can tell Myth
that the 2 channels are actually the same by simply giving them the same
callsign.  (Note, also, that "this channel" in MythTV refers to
/callsign/, so if you make "this channel" rules, they apply to all
channels with the same callsign.)

And, as an added bonus when 2 channels have the exact same channel
number and callsign, the EPG will only display one row for both
channels--because you've told MythTV that their content is identical and
they appear next to each other on the guide, so there's no reason to
duplicate the content.

So, use the channel editor in mythtv-setup or MythWeb to give both
channels the exact same channel number and callsign and you'll see it
only once in the guide.

Mike