[mythtv-users] LiveTV conflicts with scheduled recording - despite unused tuners on the same box!

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Jul 2 07:15:19 UTC 2009

Michael T. Dean wrote:

>Oh, and as for, "Channel surfers," try to convince them that the
>chances of them accidentally sitting down at exactly the right time
>to stumble upon the start of a show that's actually better than the
>couple hundred recorded shows they've told MythTV they actually
>/want/ to watch is probably close to the chances of their winning
>the lottery.  Usually, channel surfing ends with someone's starting
>to watch something that's "good enough" about 10-20 minutes after it
>started airing.
>
>If those channel surfers spent that same channel-surfing time (or,
>likely a tiny percentage of that channel-surfing time) setting up
>recording schedules (i.e. do a movie search or a keyword search or a
>genre search--or even just browse the EPG), then watching some
>recording, they'd be able to sit down next time and watch /all/ of
>that show whose end they would have accidentally stumbled upon while
>channel surfing.

Whilst I agree mostly with what you say, and I hardly ever watch live
TV now, just occasionally I do go channel surfing. And it's
surprising how often I'll end up finding something I quite like but
would never have considered watching based on title or description.
Yes it's often half way through, but then I tend to watch stuff where
that's not the end of the world.

At present I'm rather constrained as I having got a Myth frontend for
the TV yet, and the old PowerBook I use with EyeTV doesn't have a
particularly large HD. But I'm working on it as time and budget
allows.

--
Simon Hobson