[mythtv-users] LiveTV conflicts with scheduled recording - despite unused tuners on the same box!

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jul 2 14:52:13 UTC 2009

On 07/02/2009 09:00 AM, Marc Tousignant wrote:
>> I have actually used the livetv feature for sports more often than any
>> other sort of programming. I mean this way I can show up 1 hour late
>> for a 3.5 hour football game and still see the game from the beginning
>> and miss the highly annoying commercials in the process.
> Technically that is not Live. In order for this to work you would have had
> to either started recording the game via a schedule and to then start
> watching the recording while it is in progress.
>
> I do see 2 ways for this to be considered live.
> Someone else being home or you having remote access to start LiveTV and then
> pausing it, while you run home.
> Or I could suppose, you turn on LiveTV, pause, and then run out to get the
> snacks.

Which is exactly the point I was trying to make about the difference
between /working/ to watch the show you want (LiveTV) and having your
computer work for you (scheduled recording).  I /know/ that setting up a
recording rule--even if it were a one-time rule--would take less time
than ensuring you're around to start LiveTV just as the desired sports
event started, then pausing it (or even hitting R) and doing other stuff
until you're ready to watch it.  And, you'd have to make sure you start
LiveTV (whenever) and pause it /after/ the desired show began
airing--otherwise, if you happen to take too long to get those snacks
and the game ended, Myth--being paused on the pre-game show--would be
allowed to expire the game, but not the pre-game show.  And, with the
LiveTV + pause approach, you're preventing anyone else from using the
Myth box.

I'm guessing that John was actually trying to say he uses scheduled
recordings instead of LiveTV for sports, but mistyped.

Mike