[mythtv-users] LiveTV conflicts with scheduled recording - despite unused tuners on the same box!

Philip Nourse pjn at pobox.com
Thu Jul 2 20:53:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 13:18:56 -0700, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
> Yes it is.  Hit 'R' to convert to a recording, and it'll be stored like
> any other recording.  One of many LiveTV features that we're apparently
> not supposed to use. Has anyone written a patch to remove LiveTV
> entirely yet?  It seems like it's about as popular as Windows ME with
> the MythTV "in" crowd that calls the shots here. ;)

Live TV is recorded in exactly the same way as recorded TV except that it
starts when you switch to a channel, and stops when you change channels (or
at the end of the show if you set it to record).  The recordings are
expired after the time you set (usually 1 day) but you can move them to the
another group to turn the expiration off, and keep them, or like David
said, you can just press R during recording to turn expiration off, and
move it to the default group.  This is one of the great things I love about
MythTV.  When I had the DVR provided by my satellite company, I had to
rewind the show to the begining, press record, and manually stop at the end
of the program.