[mythtv-users] LiveTV conflicts with scheduled recording - despite unused tuners on the same box!

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jul 2 23:03:39 UTC 2009

On 07/02/2009 03:48 PM, Mark Buechler wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 1:16 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> With, "Avoid conflicts between live TV and scheduled shows," Myth /always/
>> chooses the least-preferred input that's available when you start LiveTV.
>>  So, if at the point that you enter LiveTV no other inputs are in use (by
>> either other users' LiveTV sessions or scheduled recordings), you will get
>> the least-preferred input.  If you have 5 inputs connected, that means you
>> won't get "kicked" from LiveTV until the 5th concurrent scheduled recording
>> begins.
>>
>> Without, "Avoid conflicts between live TV and scheduled shows," Myth will
>> attempt to choose the most-preferred (assumed to be the highest-quality)
>> available input that's local to the frontend in use for LiveTV.  If there
>> are no available inputs locally, it will choose to use the most-preferred
>> input available on some other system's backend.  In the simplest
>> configurations, this means that /both/ LiveTV /and/ recordings try to use
>> the best input, so /every/ recording that starts when you're watching LiveTV
>> would get you kicked from LiveTV.
> I hate to disagree with you here, however, I think you're wrong. I too have
> this issue, but I've managed to track down half the problem. Take a look at,
> in 0.21-fixes, all incarnations of TV::GetValidRecorderList().

OK.  I haven't traced through the code (and won't have a chance to for a
while due to company), but when starting LiveTV, the TV class should
/not/ be selecting the card/input to use--that's the master backend's
job (i.e. the job of the computer that does /all/ the scheduling).  The
master backend should receive a GET_FREE_RECORDER request from the
client, which results in running MainServer::HandleGetFreeRecorder(),
which uses the EncoderLink class (not direct DB queries--and definitely
not MySQL) to choose the encoder to use and /does/ take into account the
value specified for "Avoid conflicts..."

If that's not how it's happening, either I'm completely clueless on how
it's supposed to work or something is very wrong.

Mike