[mythtv-users] HVR-1100: How to configure buttons of remote?

mythtv at karl-reichert.com mythtv at karl-reichert.com
Fri Jul 3 19:07:06 UTC 2009

Hello list,

I was reading in german and english MythTV wiki, mythtv-users
mailinglist, two different books about MythTV and of course in the
manual and in google, but I still don't get it!

I'm using Mythbuntu Jaunty 9.04 and a Hauppauge HVR-1100 TV card with
it's own ir-receiver connected to it and the remote, coming with it
(the so-called 45 Button 3rd generation remote; black/grey).

In Mythbuntu's Control Center I selected this remote and a lircrc and
a lircd.conf file for it was created, which both look fine to me
(please see attachment).

Also, _some_ buttons of the remote work in MythTV and Mplayer (used to
play AVIs from inside MythTV). But some buttons, like the Stop button
don't work. So I read a lot of HowTo and finally I came to the
conclusion, that the best way would be, to test the remote with mode2
and/or irw, to see if the Stop button is producing a key code at all.

Trying to do that, I noticed that both tools quit right after starting
with some errors:
irw: "connect: No such file or directory"
mode 2: "mode2: could not get file information for /dev/lirc
          mode2: default_init(): No such file or directory

So I checked, if a /dev/lirc* device was there and it wasn't! I did a
'modprobe lirc_dev && modprobe lirc_sir && modprobe lirc_i2c and there
it was! Also, dmesg was telling me sth about the new driver registered
and everything looked fine. Now using mode2 or irw, I can see that the
Stop button is not sending and keycode, although it is listed in
lircd.conf. Also, mode2 did not print key codes, but some special
characters (for a example an CR&LF when pressing the OK button).

As I did not know what to do, my next step was to change the .lircrc
file, to change button behavoir. But also this did not work, none of
my changes was applied, the button's function was as before. (Of
course I restarted lircd and even the computer, before).

So I deleted all the lircrc files, expecting that none of the buttons
will work now. But still the remote works partly in MythTV and
Mplayer. I started Mplayer from terminal and it told me, my remote
will not work (because I deleted the files) but still it worked.

I just don't get it, what is going on here???

First, as long as the modules aren't loaded and lircd is not running
(I checked that via 'ps -e'), the remote should not work at all,
right?! But it is (some buttons), in MythTV and Mplayer. Why? Could it
be, that those are compiled with lirc support built in and therefore
don't need a running lircd?

Second, how can I change the behavoir of a button? How can I map a
different function in MythTV and Mplayer (and others, like VLC or
xine) to my remote's buttons? The changes in lircrc where not applied.

Third, how can I make the missing buttons work? If they aren't even
displaying a code in mode2, although contained in lircd.conf, what can
I do?

Sorry to bother you guys with those questions, I guess they have been
answered a lot of times before, but I just don't get it.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Best regards!
Karl