[mythtv-users] Problems with remote on FC10, lirc_serial and Kernel 2.6.27.25

Richard Woelk richardwoelk at yahoo.ca
Sat Jul 4 19:51:59 UTC 2009

Michael Jones wrote:
> Also.. when I run irrecord.. here's what I get.
>

> irrecord -  application for recording IR-codes for usage with lirc
>
> Copyright (C) 1998,1999 Christoph Bartelmus(lirc at bartelmus.de)
>
> irrecord: could not reset tty
> irrecord: could not init hardware (lircd running ? --> close it, check
> permissions)
>
> Also.. when I run mode2.. I get
>
> http://www.lirc.org/html/table.html
>
> I'm getting the feeling here that the serial port is still open
> somewhere else, or something is still attaching to it.   Either that,
> or the setserial command isn't quite right?
>
> Thoughts?

Michael,
    I think I figured this out. The X10 mp3anywhere doesn't need a
kernel module lirc_serial
 From this webpage on lirc.org. http://www.lirc.org/html/table.html

Either reboot or remove the lirc_serial and set the uart back to a 16550

rmmod lirc_serial
setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart 16550

Then, since you already have a good lircd.conf for your remote, you
shouldn't need to record.
Edit the file /etc/sysconfig/lirc to tell the lirc daemon how to run.

The options you need to change are

driver = mp3anywhere
device = /dev/ttyS0

reload lircd and then hopefully then something will show up with irw

If you need to record, you could do it like this

irrecord -d /dev/ttyS0 -H mp3anywhere <remote name>

the following is my /etc/sysconfig/lirc file in case you don't have one.

- Richard

---------------------------
# Note: in addition to these parameters, you need to have working    -*-
sh -*-
# configuration file for lircd (and lircmd if enabled).

# Options to lircd(8).  Typically, this will be empty, as which driver
to use
# should be specified using the LIRC_DRIVER variable below.
LIRCD_OPTIONS=""

# The infrared receiver (and/or transmitter) driver to be used by lircd(8),
# similar to passing "-H driver" to lircd(8).
# Run "/usr/sbin/lircd -H help" to get a listing of supported drivers.
LIRC_DRIVER=""

# Which lirc device will be used by lircd(8).
# This is the same as passing "-d device" to lircd.
# An empty value will use the default /dev/lirc device.
LIRC_DEVICE=""

# If "yes", the init script will try to start lircmd(8) too.
ENABLE_LIRCMD="no"

# Options to lircmd(8).
LIRCMD_OPTIONS=""