[mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Jul 6 01:14:26 UTC 2009

On 07/05/2009 08:58 PM, Allen Edwards wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
> <mailto:lunchtimelarry at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>         I have an 8400gs and have the EXACT same problem!
>         NVIDIA-Settings for tvoverscan does NOTHING, and there are NO
>         options in the gui tool for overscan as well...
>
>         I actually used the mythtv screen sizing stuff, but
>         unfortunately it has a few bugs (which I need to post!)
>

>     I have the GeForce 8200 with the 177.80 driver and I too have
>     overscan issues.  Any help would be appreciated....
>

> Run nvidia-settings and look around for an overscan option there.  If
> that works, put that command in where it will run at startup like I
> documented earlier in this thread.  I don't think these cards respond to
> modlines.  At least I could not get mine to do anything except ignore a
> custom modline.

If I'm thinking clearly, nVidia cards, when outputting via svid,
composite, or component, take whatever resolution (and by extension,
modeline) you feed it, and shove it through a tv output encoder chip
that sanitizes it for the specific output type. The knob in
nvidia-settings twiddles the tv out encoder.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com