[mythtv-users] gentoo, latest mythtv - mythfrontend has no text

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 17:05:42 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 12:59 AM, Kingsley Turner<krt at krt.com.au> wrote:
> Erik Hovland wrote:
>>
>> I booted my frontend this evening after being on vacation for a week.
>> And up popped...no text. The interwebs are full of advice like setting
>> DRI to off and XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1. Those don't seems to work
>
> I had this problem playing around with the video driver.
>
> I had the theme background but no text.
>
> The problem was twofold, but stemmed from me playing around with the video
> driver - I had inadvertently broken OpenGL - but had configured MythTV to
> use the OpenGL renderer for the user interface.
>
> Repairing the video driver - GLX in particular, sorted it out immediately.
>
> cheers,
> -kt

I just ran into a similar odd issue with my Gentoo frontend:

I upgraded the kernel from 2.6.28-r5 to 2.6.29-r5.  When recompiling
lirc it wanted to upgrade to lirc-0.8.5 so I did that.  When I
rebooted and the frontend started, it displayed the background of my
theme (I'm using glass-wide) and nothing else.

I rebooted to the old kernel and everything worked fine.  Just out of
curiosity I switched to another theme (MePo-wide) and booted to the
new kernel.  That worked fine.  At that point I was able to switch
back to the glass-wide theme and everything worked fine even if I
rebooted.

It seems as though, for whatever reason, it needed to rescale the
theme images into cache in order to work correctly.  Now everything's
fine.  Anyone ever see anything like that?

Tom