[mythtv-users] recreating DVB adaptors

Gareth Glaccum gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com
Tue Jul 7 21:38:25 UTC 2009

>From: "Nick Morrott" <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>
>On 07/07/2009, Gareth Glaccum <gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com> wrote:
>>  However for my DVB-T, what should I select?
>
>No disec required, but you can still set the multirec options on the
>recording options screen. Might also want to install/update your udev
>rules to ensure the cards keep their respective dvb nodes on each
>boot.

Should have been a bit clearer, the DVB-T are on one (master) backend, the
DVB-S are on a slave backend. I don't think the 'cards' moving around on
boot is going to cause any issues (until one goes faulty...., then I am
going to kick myself)

>> Three), sometimes instead of recording, I get no file whatsoever.
>>  I have scratched all channels, and done a scan again, with the
>> recorders.
>> It seems that once a recorder has gone into the state where it doesn't
>> work,
>> then it remains in that state. Other channels/muxes appear to be OK.

>Is this is Nova-T 500 dual DVB-T tuner? There were problems of tuners
>getting stuck reported on linux-dvb.You may need a newer firmware if
>your current one is old.

It is the USB version, NOVA-T USB2. These three have been working AOK for 2+
years. When upgrading the OS I kept the same version of the firmware, as it
wasn't as easy  to get hold of as these things should be. I have found an
updated firmware, that will be my next test if needed when I reboot.

>Note that with DVB-S on trunk with no mux existing information,
>channel scanning may be a two step process. First do a tuned scan to
>one to a good mux, and then do a scan of all existing muxes on the
>DVB-S video source. Alternatively you could import a good
>channels.conf file generated from a scan of Astra/Eurobird.

Yes this was a pain in the ****. There are two rpms available which have the
dvbscan package (at least for the OS which is my slave backend with the
DVB-S, F10).
One of them worked, one of them didn't. I think that the one which didn't
was called linux-dvb, the one which does work is dvb-apps. I used dvbscan to
create a channels.conf, then imported it. I am not 100% sure that mythtv's
checkbox of unencrypted channels only is working (it certainly is not with
DVB-T), it tried to record virgin1 from my DVB-S, which is encrypted.

--
After the email from Robert McNamara, I turned off LNB from the DVB-T cards
(I am sure it was off the first time I tested, and only turned it on when I