[mythtv-users] OT: SATA errors

Glenn Harris gharris+list+mythtv at eklo.com
Thu Jul 9 14:25:22 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 8:59 AM, Matt Mossholder<matt at mossholder.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 8:45 AM, Glenn Harris <gharris+list+mythtv at eklo.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> If you're going to be doing a lot of things as 'root', you can just use:
>>
>> sudo su -
>>
>> That will prompt you for your normal sudo password, and give you a
>> full root shell.  Still no password for root, and all your commands
>> still get logged.
>> Everyone is happy.
>>
>> Be careful still applies.
>>
>> Good luck!
>> --Glenn
>
> Ack! No!  :)
>
> This is the correct method to get a root shell using sudo:
>
> sudo -i
Not to sidetrack the thread but:

I've always gone the 'su -' route, but your comment got me curious and
I did some searching.  I couldn't find anything that differentiated
them.  They both allow sudo to log all commands, and create a new root
login environment (likewise, 'sudo su' and 'sudo -s' do not create a
new login environment).
If you have a link/reference/anecdote for one or the other I would
appreciate it.

Brian Wood wrote:
> The Ubuntu way may be a good idea for new Unix users, but it's a PIA as far as
> I'm concerned. Using sudo all the time is an option, but it should be my
> choice, not the distro makers decision.

I'm pretty sure it was the 'Debian way' long before it was the Ubuntu way.
In my brief searching for the differences between the above commands I
found quite a few philosophical arguments on the subject though!

--Glenn