[mythtv-users] Problems running mythtv-setup on backend with Intel 82865G

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 20:37:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Tom Dexter<digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been reading nightmarish accounts of problems getting DRI working
> with the 865G chipsets under xorg 1.5.3, however I've never even used
> DRI on that machine before and still don't have it in my kernel at
> all.  What's really confusing me is that glxinfo says "Direct
> Rendering: yes" even though no drm modules are even loaded...that
> really seems off.  I've tried everything I can find to force disable
> DRI in xorg.conf, but glxinfo _still_ says direct rendering is
> enabled...any idea what that's all about?  I have no idea if that has
> anything to do with is anyway.

Wow...what do you know.  I was on the right track with the above.

If I do:

export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1

...before startx the problem goes away and mythtv-setup runs just fine.

That's seriously annoying.  I have _no_ drm modules to load, all the
dri and glx stuff is commented out of xorg.conf...yet when I start X
without LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT set I get this:

X.Org X Server 1.5.3
Release Date: 5 November 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.29-gentoo-r5 i686
Current Operating System: Linux mythback 2.6.29-gentoo-r5 #1 SMP
PREEMPT Mon Jul 6 12:25:27 EDT 2009
 i686
Build Date: 09 July 2009  01:46:12PM

	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Jul  9 13:59:41 2009
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) Failed to load module "freetype" (module does not exist, 0)
FATAL: Module i915 not found.
(EE) [drm] drmOpen failed.
(EE) intel(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.

...note the errors trying to load the non-existent i915 module...yet
after that glxinfo says "Direct Remdering: yes".  What the hell is
that all about??

At least I got it working, but I want this day back...

Tom