[mythtv-users] OT: SATA errors

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 10 00:53:28 UTC 2009

Calvin Harrigan wrote:
> Have you tried running the brand specific diagnostic software for the
> drive?  It's usually a bootable CD.

OK, here's an update on what I've done and where I'm currently at:

1) I hooked up the power supply that I had in my remote front end PC to
my main Myth box and the problem still happens.

2) I put my 2 HDs into a remote front end PC that's running Mythbuntu
8.10 and the OS could see each one.  I could mount them and run fsck on
them and they both came up clean.

3) I put 1 of the drives (the 1 with Ubuntu installed on it) into my
Windows PC and it could see it.

4) I downloaded the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools ISO and ran
it.  They didn't really have a diagnostic to check the HDs, but I could
examine the drive settings and could see all of the partitions, and no
errors were displayed in their tool.  So I'm ruling out that the HDs are
a problem.

5) I put the HDs back into the Myth box and when I put, I get the
following errors (not exact as some scroll by too quickly, but I booted
a few times to jot as many down as I could):

chown: invalid user: `syslog:adm`
user syslog does not exist, aborting

Doing Wacom setup...
Starting Kernel log daemon
chown: invalid user: `klog:klog`
start-stop-daemon: user `klog` does not exist

chown: invalid user: `messagebus`
* Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon avahi-daemon
Timeout reached while waiting for return value
Could not receive return value from daemon process

*Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server sshd
Privilege seperation user sshd does not exist

* Starting web server apache2
install: invalid user `www-data`
apache2: bad user name www-data

I also get a graphical window that says "The gdm user 'gdm' does not
exist.  Please correct gdm configuration and restart gdm".  At this
point I'm dropped to a tty1 shell and all attempts to login result in
"incorrect login".

Sooooooooooo: Is the problem with my Motherboard?  Or did something go
horribly wrong and make some key system files corrupt?  Can I some how
boot to the rescue mode on the LiveCD and repair them?  Maybe grub got
corrupted somehow?

I'm just trying to determine the next step(s) to take.  I'd hate to have
to purchase another motherboard, but if that's the problem, I will.  I'd
also hate to nuke the HDs arnd reinstall from scratch to restore the
system, but I will also.  Its not a huge deal to me.

Thanks for any help!  Let me know what I should do next.
Harry