[mythtv-users] Am I the only one with transcoding problems?

jansenj jansenj+myth at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 13:13:47 UTC 2009

Ok,
So I've always had trouble with transcoding, and am starting to wonder if
I'm the only one.  It seems about 50% of the time my audio is out sync,
sometimes by as much as 2 or 3 seconds!  I've used mytharchive (mtd),
regular transcoding to .nuv, and most recently, I installed mythbuntu 9.04
and tried mythexport (ffmpeg) and my first attempt was about 2 seconds out
of sync (audio vs video).

Is this just an artifact of trying to scale and convert ATSC HD recordings
(from an hdhomerun)?  Or am I just doing something wrong?  My processor
isn't fast, but not bad AMD 3200.  I have 3g ram...overkill.  Fresh install
of mythbuntu still caused problems.

Sometimes I'll get lucky and it'll work ok, but it happens enough that I
stay irritated at the problem quite often.  I've resorted to using windows
to transcode videos that I want to ensure are converted correctly, and I
know I shouldn't have to be doing this.

Any suggestions? Or am I all alone with this problem?